Alexander Gluck
Original Content Is © 2013 - Carroll F. Gray

GLUCK, Alexander

Affidavit, July 19, 1934

I, Alexander Gluck, residing at 119 Gem Avenue, Bridgeport, Connecticut, do depose and say that I was personally acquainted with the late Gustave Whitehead during the time he was experimenting with heavier than air flying machines.

Approximately 1901 or 1902, when I was only ten or twelve years of age [7, 8 or 9 years old in 1901-03], I was present on an occasion when Mr. Whitehead succeeded in flying his machine, propelled by motor on a flight of some distance, at a height of four or five feet from the ground. The machine used by Mr. Whitehead was a monoplane with folding wings. I recall its having been pushed from the yard back of the residence where the Whitehead family then lived, 241 Pine Street, Bridgeport, Connecticut, which was opposite my residence at the time. The plane was set in motion in the street in front of the house and when it flew was propelled by an engine. I do not recall what time of year this was, but believe it was in summer or fall. It was at some time when school was not in session, as many other children were present and followed the airplane.

Signed, Sworn and witnessed

available excerpts of Affidavit given to John B. Crane, August 13, 1936

I, Alexander Gluck, residing at 411 Hancock Avenue, Bridgeport, Connecticut, do depose and say that I personally witnessed airplane flights made by Gustave Whitehead in 1901 and 1902. The longest flight I saw him make was approximately sixty feet in length and at an altitude of fifteen or twenty feet above the ground. These flights were made on Cherry Street, Bridgeport, and at the time I saw the flights I was ten or eleven years old. The machine was a biplane... I saw him make numerous flights, both morning and afternoon flights.

Stella Randolph typed notes, July 16, 1934

You have to ask me questions; I cannot tell you anything unless you do. Yes I remember seeing Mr. Whitehead fly. They pushed the airplane into the street from back of the house on Pine Street, and of course, like any kid, I ran after it. There were a number of us there. I don 't recall what time of year it was, but all the kids were out of school, so it must have been summer or fall. Of course, it might have been some holiday. It must have been about 1901 or 02, when I was about ten or eleven years old. It made a terrible noise; of course it had an engine in it. It got up four or five feet off the ground and flew. I don't recall the distance nor the length of time. I don't recall any of the other children around then. I think "Johnny-slams-the-door" was there. Johnny got his name because he used to run up and slam the doors after the fire engines went rushing out. He is dead now. Mr. Pruckner worked on that machine in Pine Street. I think Andy Morasco would know about Mr. Whitehead's work. Natzi Sabo (?) a Cuban, would know. He is living now. Of course I will be glad to make affidavit to seeing the flight. Why not?